14 replies to this topic

#1 JFos

JFos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

12m-regatta-2015d.png?w=700
         (Thread cross-posted with http://forum.slsailing.co)

The S4L 12M Regatta will sail the weekend of June 20-21!
It's more than a boat race; it's a fundraiser to benefit cancer research through Relay For Life in SL.
A bunch of sailors have already signed up to compete, but there are still a few open slots to fill.

So hey, go dig under the couch for your boatshoes and grab your sailing gloves, this will be fun!

We have many sponsors and matching donors for the regatta this year, 
so rest assured a big check will go to Sail4Life every time a Twelve Meter Racer hits the water!

Go Sign Up Here!!!    :)  

Sailors who join the S4L Regatta will get a free Trudeau 12 meter sailboat. If you wish, 
the boat even comes with complimentary sails and hull textures courtesy of Diamond Marchant and Jacqueline Trudeau. 
Racers will then test those 12 Meter rockets on Qualifying trials held on Saturday, June 20. To accommodate SL sailors worldwide, 
those Saturday races will be split into four different timeslot events that host four boats each 
(teams can choose 0700, 1300, 1500, or 1800 SLT). 

Each timeslot qualifying event will consist of four race heats on an Olympic course designed by Ldewell Hawker
(I'll post it here ASAP). The scores will be tallied based on three heats, with one discard ('one throw-out'). 
The four teams that win the Saturday Timeslot Quals will then advance to a Finals sail-off competition 
to determine the ultimate regatta winner, hopefully on Sunday, June 21. 
However, the actual time for the Finals needs to be determined by the skippers, 
to make sure the event is planned for everyone. 
It will be posted as soon as the teams agree. :-)

OKOK, this is going to be fun;
But you still need motivation? 
Go watch the great Waypoint fleet race 12M's here!!!:

I'll post suemelgand's Back Water Fleet video too, as soon as I figure out how to post damn Vimeo here... :-)

Speaking of which...
I'll also cross-post all the details for the Regatta in this thread, 
so sailors can read and discuss issues before racetime!

GO S4L!!

2015-sail4life-race-regatta.png?w=700

Edited by JFos, 10 June 2015 - 12:36 PM.

#2 JFos

JFos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

<<< 2015 SAIL4LIFE TWELVE METER REGATTA >>>
    12meter.png
**Special Rules and Exceptions for this Event**

Please help us make sure the ‘Ruleset’ for this regatta is understood by all,
so the judging and protest review can be uniform, valid, and consistent.

Bea Woodget, Silber Sands and Joro Aya (and their designated alternates) are the 2015 Regatta judges. 
They are the final word on judging policy and procedure. 
Soro Dagostino, Taku Raymaker, and Jane Fossett will act as Appeals Judges if indicated.

THE BOAT
— Teams will race the latest version of the TRUDEAU 12 METER sloop, ‘as it comes out of the box’.
— Decorative textures for the hull or sail are permitted. 
J Trudeau and Diamond Marchant may provide extra hull and sail textures that can be used at the discretion of each race team.
— Racing boats should have the team’s preferred, unique sail number prominently displayed on the Main.
Some specific details:
— Teams are not allowed to use the ‘/1 pp’ (phantom) chat command (or equivalent) while racing.
— The use of simple ‘stop-watch’ timers is allowed.
— Simple landmark setters that show race mark locations as ‘world map teleport points,’ are allowed.
— Any additional gadgets that show extra info on boat position or physics is not allowed. If a team is unsure about use of a particular device, they should ask one of the judges or Regatta Officials well in advance of race day.

THE SAIL TEAMS:
— Boats competing in the regatta will be registered to a “sailing team” that includes one or more people (yes, one person can be a ‘Team.”). — Each team will have an identified ‘contact person’ for official regatta communications. The contact person does not need to sail; they are just the ‘contact.’.
— For any particular race, the boat’s team will decide which team members should crew, and which will skipper (The minimum number aboard a race boat is a solo skipper; the maximum number is one skipper plus three crew).
— Even in the middle of a race, a team can decide to add or remove crew, or switch skippers.
— The number of crew aboard any boat at the START can be different from the number of crew crossing the FINISH line.
Please also note:
— Each competing race boat must use a unique ID registered to the boat’s team and identified by the raceline.
— All competing boats will sail with “Cruise Wind” parameters broadcast from the Start line windsetter. Manually setting “Trudeau boatwind” is not permitted. An RD may request that a Finishing boat run the ‘/x set’ chat command to show the boat had correct wind.
— A sailor can be skipper in only ONE timeslot on June 20, but any sailor is welcome to crew for a different team in timeslots when they are not skipper.

RACE GUIDELINES:
June 20 Qualifying Races:
A team must win a Qualifying event to advance to the FINALS.
The Qual events will be divided into four timeslots (0700, 1300, 1500, and 1800 SLT).
A maximum of four boats will race in each timeslot.
All races will be held in Northsea using the Breadnut racelinehttp://maps.secondli...eadnut/23/70/30
The boats in each timeslot will race on an Olympic course designed by Ldewell Hawker:

The wind will be from the SW at 18-20kt.
There will be four heats, with one discard (‘throw-out).
The winners of each timeslot event will compete again on Sunday June 21 in a FINALS event.
The details for the FINALS will be posted separately.

RACERS:
Competition boats should arrive thirty minutes prior to the scheduled race and check in with the Race Director.
All communication with the fleet will take place over the Twelve Meter Regatta group chat channel. Competing sailors should join that group and open chat for the race.
The RD will give five minute and one minute warnings prior to starting Countdown. Racing boats must raise sail within 15 seconds of the RD’s announcement that the clock is running.

UNIQUE SL ISSUES:
— Boat Crashes: If a boat ‘fails’ for any reason, a skipper may decide to abandon it and launch a new copy of the boat at the nearest rez point before the crash. The skipper must announce the event to race officials, who will then provide wind parameters for the new boat (an RD will bring a windsetter to the rez site).
— Skipper Crashes and MOB: If a skipper goes off-world or becomes incapacitated for any reason, another team member can take the helm, or launch a replacement boat as described above. If crew fall overboard, new team members can go aboard as replacements at the skipper’s discretion.
— Failure to trigger the raceline: On rare occasions, competing boats will fail to trigger the raceline. When this happens at the START, the race is invalid and the fleet should be recalled. When this happens at the FINISH, The Race Directors should record the rank order of boats as they cross the line and use that data to score the race.

RACE RULES AND JUDGING
— The ISAF Race Rules will apply unless otherwise noted. Please see Reigen Zeplin’s “Second Life Adjusted Racing Rules of Sailing” for details –http://tinyurl.com/nwl8tsh
Rule exceptions and SL-specific additions will be listed in this thread, and also published on notecards to racers in-world.
Comments on ISAF Rules:
— Judges will use a two boat-length zone to resolve Rule 18 protests over ROW at racemarks. Rule 18 does not apply at start line marks, but will apply at the marks that define a GATE, except as stated in Rule 18.4.
— Rule 30.1 will be enforced:
“…(if) any part of a boat’s hull, crew or equipment is on the course side of the starting line or one of its extensions during the last minute before her starting signal, she shall thereafter sail from the course side across an extension to the prestart side before starting.”
— Rule 31 will also be enforced:
“31 TOUCHING A MARK While racing, a boat shall not touch a starting mark before starting, a mark that begins, bounds or ends the leg of the course on which she is sailing, or a finishing mark after finishing.”
–NOTE: The Trudeau 12M has a phantom boom; it can not cause a collision. A collision only occurs when a non-phantom part of the boat strikes another non-phantom object.

SCORING
— The Qualifying Timeslot Races will use the ISAF Appendix A Standard Low Point scoring system. Four races will be held in each timeslot, and each competing boat will get one discard.
ISAF Appendix A 8.1 and 8.2 will be used to resolve any ties.
The boat with the lowest score in each timeslot will advance to the Finals Round. Details of the Finals Round competition will be published separately.

Good Luck!

JFos – revised June 8

#3 JFos

JFos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

I'm rather thrilled to report the S4L Regatta is nearly full; 
there are only two or three slots remaining! :-)
Sailors who want to grab those remaining spots can SIGN UP HERE.
Once we have those spots covered, I'll post all the teams and their timeslot assignments for the June 20 Qualifying races.
This year we're making it simple; there's only one course for all the Qual heats. 
It's a straightforward Olympic course, ending with a windward/ leeward leg.
The wind will be from the SW, blowing at 18-20 kts.
Each timeslot fleet will sail four heats (with one discard).
WOOTS! 

s4l-2015-12m-qualifying-course.png?w=700

#4 JFos

JFos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:22 PM

And for those who need more motivation,

here's the video of suemelgard's Monday Twelve Meter race fleet:

Edited by JFos, 10 June 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#5 Maiti Yenni

Maiti Yenni

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • LocationOckway Bay, U.S.S., SL

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:35 AM

See You all in the finals!

(And yes, thats a taunt!)

• Nber Medici likes this

Owner and Instructor, Ockway Bay Sailing School

Co-Founder - Virtual World Sailing Forum

#6 JFos

JFos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:56 AM

See You all in the finals!

(And yes, thats a taunt!)

Grin... this should be fun...

#7 JFos

JFos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

Here's a list of the teams for the Twelve Meter Quals on June 20.

The 13:00 timeslot has five teams, so I'm looking to move one to the 07:00 group.
Please contact Jane Fossett if you can switch!
Also, the editable spreadsheet is here: http://tinyurl.com/qaca2cm
Please add name of sailors on the crew, as well as boat numbers etc!
Thanks!

s4l-12m-teams-jun15.jpg?w=458

#8 Petra Paname

Petra Paname

North Sea Race Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationNorth Sea

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:28 PM

gallery_21_80_1009342.png

Photo by Peach

• JFos likes this

Sailing Race Director for the North Sea.

What we get up to in the North Sea: Pasha 110 RegattaBlue Lagoon Marina Open Regatta & Patch II Racing 

#9 JFos

JFos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:46 PM

I want to express my great appreciation and affection for the wonderful sailing teams, race staff, 
and judges there were part of yesterday's Sail4Life Twelve Meter qualifying race series.

I'll have a lot more to say about them, but I wanted to post the Results as quickly as I could. 
These are unofficial, but I will get confirmation from all the judging officials 
as soon as they have reviewed the numbers.

Okay Okay, enough with that, may I have a drum roll please… 
The Fantastic Final Four teams for the 2015 TWELVE METER REGATTA will be:

TEAM WYC1
TEAM PENGZILLA
FLORIDA SAILS
TEAM WYC2

sailwave.jpg

Please Note: There was an important protest by MaitiYenni in the first heat of the 1800 Timeslot 4 series against TEAM WYC2. I'll document the details of that protest later, and I'm still waiting for confirmation of all the above numbers by the judging group. 
However, by my calculations (which are always of course subject to error, so please check the numbers grin.gif ), even if Maiti's protest were valid, TEAM WYC2 would have won the Timeslot 4 event. Therefore, even though Maiti's protest was appropriate, I have recommended to the judges that we dismiss the protest. I think there is broad agreement that her her specific concerns should be included in future "SL Exceptional Regatta Rules" for events of this sort.

Next Up: We pick a FINALS date that works for all the winning teams!!

#10 Maiti Yenni

Maiti Yenni

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • LocationOckway Bay, U.S.S., SL

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:12 PM

Jane, if the numbers bear out, and the protest does not make a difference on the outcome, then I fully agree with your move to get things going.

I do feel that the specifics of this VERY valid protest, then appeal of decision be discussed, since frankly, several other very experienced RDs, Judges and I, are frankly amazed at the initial decision, and the fact this even had to go to an appeal.

Although this protest is clearly not about splitting hairs like many protests are, as you mention, this probably will end up being added as a "Special SL Rule" as you have suggested. Who would have thought?

In all, This has been so far an amazing event, and one that I personally would not have missed for anything. I cant wait for the finals, I'll be there in the front row cheering on all the boats!

(BTW has anyone made t shirts for this event? contact me if you have!)

Owner and Instructor, Ockway Bay Sailing School

Co-Founder - Virtual World Sailing Forum

#11 JFos

JFos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:01 PM

THE WINNERS OF THE SAIL4LIFE TWELVE METER QUALIFYING RACES ARE:

1. TEAM WYC1 -- Bunnie Mills, 彡NOZOMI彡 (Nozomimi Karu), いんちゃん™ (Infrared Razor), 寅次郎 (Torajiro Whitfield), あやちゃ (Ayahoshi), Кαηα (Rairu370)
2. PENGZILLA -- Chaos Mandelbrot, Bennythe Boozehound
3. FLORIDA SAILS --  James Munson
4. TEAM WYC2 -- いお (Io Littleboots),  Sachbee Resident

Here we GO FOR THE FINALS!!!!

s4l-twelve-meter-finals-2015-h1024.png?w

Edited by JFos, 27 June 2015 - 02:03 PM.

#12 JFos

JFos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:36 AM

Here's a quick video showing a few moments from the 1800h timeslot races on June 20. :-)

full size vid is here: http://vimeo.com/132039842

Edited by JFos, 29 June 2015 - 01:38 AM.

#13 JFos

JFos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:50 PM

~~~~ Reposted from July 12  ~~~~

wyc1-wins-bigtime1.png?w=500&h=269

WOOTS!

The last race of the 12 m regatta Finals Saturday was easily
one of the best-sailed and most exciting racing events
I have ever seen in a decade of SLSailing. :-)

Mega-Kudos to the incredible Teams,
and a special 'WOOT!' to TEAMS WAYPOINT 1&2
for their undeniable demonstration of extraordinary sailing skill
and ultimate performance under race pressure.

Go read on Metaversesailing.com.

I've a lot more to say about these great racers,
but for today here are the final numbers:

finals.png?w=500

sail4life-trophies.png?w=500

#14 JFos

JFos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

Here is the 'racer's cut' video of the Finals' Race 4,
but for the HD version, click here. :-)

Edited by JFos, 14 July 2015 - 10:06 PM.

#15 Petra Paname

Petra Paname

North Sea Race Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationNorth Sea

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:44 AM

Go read on Metaversesailing.com. ?

Well done to the winners all the teams that took part.

Sailing Race Director for the North Sea.

What we get up to in the North Sea: Pasha 110 RegattaBlue Lagoon Marina Open Regatta & Patch II Racing 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users