#1 Justin Blade

Justin Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationMureaux Cove, Nautilus

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:08 PM

Today’s combined United Sailing Sims/Blake Sea yacht clubs races were hosted by Nantucket Yacht Club. Another moderate turn out but a lot of fun was had and that’s the main purposes of these races. There was a lot of banter back and forth before, during and after the event when everyone hung out on the committee boat.

Congratulations to Dissi for racing. It took a bit of tugging and pushing to get her out there but she finally rezzed her boat and raced. I believe she’s had a Star for one week. As the primary designer and builder of the ACA 33 I’m sure she will become competitive very fast.

The first race was very close with Fanny and Moon battling the whole race and Bianca hot on their tails. Moon took the lead early and managed to keep it against Fanny. The finish was very close, but congratulations to Moon for holding on.

The second race wasn’t so close, from the start they became strung out with Fanny holding a commanding lead. Unfortunately she had a couple of bad sim crossings and then a crash surrendering the lead to Moon.

Dissi had to skip the final. The start contained errors by both Moon and Bianca. Bianca crossed just a second early and Moon violated Fanny’s leeward ROW to keep from going over early himself. He immediately did a penalty turn without the RD having to tell him. Great sportsmanship on his part. Their errors gave Fanny a long lead from the start and she never looked back.

Congratulations to Moon for his two victories and Fanny for her one. The series continues next week with the race hosted by Starboards Yacht Club.

Course 720

1: moonglownight Resident IDBSBF2E -- 00:10:28

2: FannyVermont Resident IDBSE5D4 -- 00:10:29

3: TgBianca Resident IDBSEB40 -- 00:10:38

4: disisme Misfit IDBS2750 -- 00:14:50

Lap Times:

moonglownight Resident IDBSBF2E -- Start: 00:00:02 -- Last lap: 00:10:26

FannyVermont Resident IDBSE5D4 -- Start: 00:00:01 -- Last lap: 00:10:28

TgBianca Resident IDBSEB40 -- Start: 00:00:08 -- Last lap: 00:10:30

disisme Misfit IDBS2750 -- Start: 00:01:05 -- Last lap: 00:13:45

Course 716

1: moonglownight Resident IDBSBF2E -- 00:15:06

2: TgBianca Resident IDBSEB40 -- 00:16:15

3: disisme Misfit IDBS2750 -- 00:22:00

4: FannyVermont Resident IDBSE5D4 -- not Finished

Lap Times:

moonglownight Resident IDBSBF2E -- Start: 00:00:02 -- Last lap: 00:15:04

TgBianca Resident IDBSEB40 -- Start: 00:00:14 -- Last lap: 00:16:01

disisme Misfit IDBS2750 -- Start: 00:00:06 -- Last lap: 00:21:54

FannyVermont Resident IDBSE5D4 -- Start: 00:00:01 -- Last lap: not finished

Course 741

1: FannyVermont Resident IDBSE5D4 -- 00:08:54

2: moonglownight Resident IDBSBF2E -- 00:09:44

3: TgBianca Resident IDBSEB40 -- 00:09:56

Lap Times:

FannyVermont Resident IDBSE5D4 -- Start: 00:00:02 -- Last lap: 00:08:52

moonglownight Resident IDBSBF2E -- Start: 00:00:00 -- Last lap: 00:09:44

TgBianca Resident IDBSEB40 -- Start: 00:00:28 -- Last lap: 00:09:28

Imperium Neptuni Regis

#2 viv

viv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationThe "6"

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:53 AM

Seemed like fun and exciting races! Remember what wind you set?
Also, my little finger is hinting that there were crewed and solo boats... any comment about that?

Edited by vIv, 09 October 2018 - 12:03 PM.

#3 Justin Blade

Justin Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:24 PM

I think the wind was 200 18 V2 G3, pretty basic stuff this time.

Crewed vs solo probably needs to be discussed grid wide with the Star.  Crew on the Star isn't near as advantageous as it is on the IF and especially the FS.  However eventually as they gain in experience working together I believe an advantage will show.  In Moon's case the crew did no trimming.  I think Moon was crewed the first race, maybe the first two but not the third.  Based on Fanny's lead prior to crash in the second his crew was of little help.

MTW feels crews shouldn't be allowed in this particular series.  My feelings are allow them until a distinct advantage shows.  Then either not allow them or list results separately or with notation.  I don't want to turn anyone away at this point and there are a couple who refuse to race unless they can sail with a crew saying crewed should be the norm considering the boat was designed to be a two hand boat in both RL and SL.  At this point I'm not firmly in either camp.

Any thoughts? 

Imperium Neptuni Regis

#4 MaczMurfin

MaczMurfin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationBlake Passage

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:09 PM

Justin, I agree with you regarding not disallowing crewed STARs until such time as the crewed boats are winning consistently and proving to be unbeatable by a solo boat. I think insisting that boats are crewed would be a severe restriction on the races as few people EVER race with crew in SL and it would probably cut our numbers in half ... numbers of boats that is. Banning crewed boats when it is designed for two would be equally unfair. So ideally we need to find some way to enable solo and crewed boats to compete on a level playing field.

We're looking ('we' as in Star Class Racing Club) at developing a handicap for the crewed boats which would hopefully compensate the disadvantaged solo sailors. 

#5 viv

viv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationThe "6"

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:52 PM

From my experience sailing the Star solo and with a crew, the main plus is upwind, close-hauled. 

A characteristic of the Star is her gigantic main sail which gives the boat a lot of power. 

Solo, you need to let go a bit of the extra power by luffing the jib to reach maximum speed... Else, the Star heels too much.  And that is effective with as little as 14-knot wind.

As the crew helps counterbalancing the heeling, she lets you sail the boat to her full potential (no need to luff the jib... well up to a certain wind strength yet to evaluate)

The speed difference is between 0.5 and 1.0 knot depending on the wind strength (I have sailed in many wind configurations, wind strength from 14 to 20+ knots). 

With stronger winds, the range where the crew provides a significant advantage increases. 

On other points of sails, bearing down, the crew advantage is reduced. It could even be a handicap with a poorly coordinated team.

However, I think that, as sailing with a crew provides more hiking points, there is the potential to hit the boat's heeling sweet spot more often with a crew, providing a slight speed advantage again. 

Now, I need hard data to back up this assertion. 

I need to run my polar routine with a crew... we talked about it with Serena, just havent found the time yet... 

In the meantime, I don't mind sailing against crewed and un-crewed Stars.

The more, the merrier !

Cheers, Viv

PS: Why I speak of more hiking points 

There are 4 hiking positions on either side on the Star, both for the skipper and crew. So overall 8 positions for each.

Solo, you can be on any of these 8 positions, i.e. 1 to 4 and -1 to -4 (+ is against the sail, counterbalancing heel / - is on the sail side, increasing heel)

I believe this provides a hiking index (the boat's creator may or may not confirm this) from -4 to +4, 8 hiking points, but dead center (0) is impossible.

Duo, both can be on any of these 8 positions, i.e. 1 to 4 and -1 to -4, combined any way you want, from -8 to +8, but 0 is possible, so 17 hiking points.

Now, there could be ponderations and more complex calculus involved, but the logic is there: twice as many hiking points with a crew, providing the possibility for finer balance adjustment.

Edited by vIv, 09 October 2018 - 09:03 PM.

#6 viv

viv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationThe "6"

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:41 AM

I did a quick run with 12-knot wind: then the difference between crewed and solo in terms of speed when close-hauled disappears... 

It even turns in the Solo's advantage when luffing the jib : there is a little speed bonus to find in luffing the jib solo, but the effect is not quite so clear in duo...

Also, it seems that hiking needs to be adapted then to maximize speed... but I could be misled... Further testing needed ;)

Cheers

Edited by vIv, 10 October 2018 - 01:42 AM.

#7 Justin Blade

Justin Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:11 PM

A good discussion, thank you everyone.  I'm in full agreement with Macz on this.  Handicapping may eventually be the best way to do it.  As far as requiring crew, I would only consider this in a cup series of some sort like Viv did with the FS or perhaps as a race done for that purpose like Kayo's crewed IF races that unfortunately didn't last long.

Imperium Neptuni Regis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users