#1 MaczMurfin

MaczMurfin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationBlake Passage

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:23 PM

The Volvo Ocean Race Sky Ocean Rescue In Port Race (snappy name!) took place in Swansea, Wales today, and yours truly was privileged to be there to watch it happen. I have to say, watching the racing online is SO much more exciting, but despite that it was a great thrill to be there to see the teams and watch these classic one-design boats battling it out around the cans in Cardiff Bay. The sun didn't shine the way it has been doing these past weeks, but despite the chilly onshore breeze we stuck it out (my 'non-sailing' wife and I) for the whole race and enjoyed the "let's clean up our oceans" message that pervades the whole event.

Here are a few pictures I snapped to remind me in years to come of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that thankfully I didn't miss ... including an appearance from the official Dulux dog as Dulux is owned by AkzoNobel.

9vfio4g.jpg

waaD4cD.jpg

OOvNPK6.jpg

WSfE2tK.jpg

CJbJfcv.jpg

I've been cheering for Turn the Tide on Plastic since the start of the event, simply for nationalistic reasons as skipper Dee Caffari is British, so I was really glad to be there today to cheer them as they finished in a strong seventh place...

• LucyInTheSky Afarensis likes this

#2 Justin Blade

Justin Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • LocationMureaux Cove, Nautilus

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

I'm happy for you Macz, it is so fortunate you were able to attended.  Thank you for sharing the photos and experience with us.  :)

• MaczMurfin likes this

Imperium Neptuni Regis

#3 LucyInTheSky Afarensis

LucyInTheSky Afarensis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

Great you could attend you. I envy you :)

As you I am with Akzo, as Martine is there. She is not only a Brazilian gold Olympic medalist, but is also niece of my hero, Lars Grael :)

df2d752c60a64e1a8e0036d36e625327.jpg

• MaczMurfin likes this

#4 viv

viv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationThe "6"

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:56 AM

Yep, Thanks for sharing!

Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond, Alex Thomson is doing PR on Hugo Boss : 35049981_2486599961354041_68950192758414

35143713_2489461977734506_60571841784562

These are from the team's facebook page, but I hope to get close on Friday... 

It is supposed to be another lovely day over the Toronto inner harbour ;-)

Edited by vIv, 15 June 2018 - 02:58 AM.

• LucyInTheSky Afarensis likes this

#5 MaczMurfin

MaczMurfin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationBlake Passage

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:25 PM

The Gothenburg (sorry, English spelling) in-port race is a masterclass in tactical sailing, in how to use the rules tactically to your benefit, in the power of a wind shadow, in the challenge of a wind shift, and in just about the whole rule book. Watch it, or miss out on a real treat.

Find it here: 

What a treat!  B)

There is also a 3-minute long highlights video on YouTube, but honestly, there is enough action in the hour-long race to make watching the whole thing worthwhile, even if you do it in stages  :)

Edited by MaczMurfin, 18 June 2018 - 09:27 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VOR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users