• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 atomic infinity

atomic infinity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:07 AM

I have been a busy bee building a barge :)

Now launched on the waterways of SL, the aim was to be able to take a good sized load to some of the more remote marinas.

It is named 'Enterprise' for those hard working 'enterprising' seafarers out there getting the freight out!

It's final test for seaworthiness was a reasonable trip...

Satellite (north Heterocera) to ANWR Channel

Some very shallow bits in the Heterocera channels, so a shallow draft barge was perfect :)

ANWR to Bay City New Port

Much more open water, full speed ahead!

New Port to Bascom Seaside (Orwood)

Headed south east below the sandboxes, quite a nice route down there little used, then wriggled through the islands to get to the Orwood channel.

Bascom Seaside to Kania

Found my coat and hat, and headed into the ice floe!

med_gallery_2383_151_164522.jpg

It has 3 different cargo loads to choose from - containers, crates/pallets, or mixed cargo. Pick one from the list and it loads up for you.

med_gallery_2383_151_167691.jpg

Big heavy loads are the name of the game!  The bigger and heavier the better :)

med_gallery_2383_151_32457.jpg

Big stacks of wood and steel pipes in the mixed cargo option :

med_gallery_2383_151_109801.jpg

Who needs fancy fenders when you have a big pile of tyres to recycle!

med_gallery_2383_151_65197.jpg

Naturally it's fully GTFO! game-ready, no need for any modifications.

Automatic loading option will set up your cargo when you take a GTFO job.

It's been a lot of fun making it... well maybe texturing that mesh shipping container was rather hard work lol.

I already have some notes on development and improvements going forward.

It's my first boat build so I welcome feedback and ideas, things I could (or should) have done differently.

See you on the water :)

SaveSave

• ZZBottom and Kayo like this

aka Claire

FS hotlaps junkie

Satellite Wharf - GTFO! Hub

North eastern Heterocera Atoll

Now accepting deliveries in medium boats, medium seaplanes, amphibious vehicles, large helicopters and all road vehicles :)

#2 ZZBottom

ZZBottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Great Job:)

#3 Kayo

Kayo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

Waaooo. Congratulation. I think i have see one yesterday in the Blake Sea. Is that possible?

Can i load my Booze on it?  :P

Kayo

Celtica Team (Kayo & Laured)

"Si me dan a elegir, entre todas las vidas yo escojo la del pirata cojo, con pata de palo,con parche en el ojo, con cara de malo. El viejo truhan, capitan de un barco que tuviera por bandera un par de tibias y una calavera"

#4 atomic infinity

atomic infinity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

ty   :)

If you saw it yesterday in the Blake, that was me doing some final tests :D

I did see a Kayo-shaped yellow dot on my minimap so I assumed you were racing.

You can fit many many bottles of booze in one of those containers though I might drink a few en-route ;)

Edited by atomic infinity, 26 July 2017 - 01:32 PM.

aka Claire

FS hotlaps junkie

Now accepting deliveries in medium boats, medium seaplanes, amphibious vehicles, large helicopters and all road vehicles :)

#5 Rez Gray

Rez Gray

GTFO MASTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

I made a few runs with it from Dutch to Moonshine. My observations to far: 

• Good turning radius in low throttle. Was able to whip a 180 inside Dutch Harbor.
  • I was able to get in and out smoothly thanks to the awsome handling.
  • The throttle text that auto-hides could stand to pop up even if I'm already throttle at 100 to remind me.
  • Responsive enough to twitch my way through some of the tight spaces into out of Dire Strait
  • Could maybe use an optional higher camera for sighting gaps farther off
  • Needs more built-in sit targets, a avi-sitter would be overkill unless it was turned into a party barge.
  • Any issues I had on the trip were attributed to lag and one region causing client crashes.
  • Could use a 'safe mode' for passing through tricky channels.
  • This boat is something I've wanted myself for awhile.

I hope to use this boat as a baseline for the upcoming "Trade" system, at least until we add cannons and CIWS platforms to the mix. 

#6 atomic infinity

atomic infinity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:53 AM

Thanks for the feedbacks :) I am making a list of possible tweaks for updating.

And by popular demand... there is now a demo rezzer here if you want to take it for a spin :D

http://maps.secondli...llite/242/28/22

aka Claire

FS hotlaps junkie

#7 atomic infinity

atomic infinity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:41 PM

Oki its updated already  :)

New version v1.1 have already gone to the people who have one :) IM me if you didn't get it, should be a marketplace redelivery in Received Items folder.

Added more colours to the shipping containers, and they now will randomly vary in colour each time they are loaded.

(also added the ability to turn off the random colours)

Added two more camera angles :

High cam for looking out into marinas and navigating.

Forward cam to look down over the bow for nosing it into moorings.

Fixed an instance of reversing camera not going back to normal cam.

Added two more passenger sits and updated the ejector seat system to handle the extra passengers.

Added 'Safe Mode' which turns most of the boat phantom for if you get stuck in a tree / rock / house / helicopter / etc ...

Added a texture template for the shipping containers if you want to make your own logo.

Changed cargo manager so if you 'colour tint' your crates, the colour persists.

Updated the instructions for the new goodies.
Changed a few more tiny things that nobody will notice ;)

aka Claire

FS hotlaps junkie

#8 ReiKuhr

ReiKuhr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:27 AM

How much FU does this thing carry?

#9 atomic infinity

atomic infinity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

Current rating is 4800 freight units :)

aka Claire

FS hotlaps junkie

#10 atomic infinity

atomic infinity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:39 PM

woot woot!! it's update day!!  :)

New version v1.2 has already gone to the people who have one  :) IM me if you didn't get it, should be a marketplace redelivery in Received Items folder, or if you got it in-world I just sent one manually.

Thanks for the feedbacks, especially Rei who will notice a couple of things here that are familiar ;)

The new stuffs -

Container Textures :

If you make your own textures for the shipping containers from the template, add a copy of your textures inside the boat inventory.

Then each time the boat loads containers on deck, it will randomly choose from your textures as well as the default ones.

If you want yours to come out more often, just add extra copies into the boat inv to increase the chance :)

Passengers :

When you get bored of throwing hitchhikers over the side with the ejector seat, you can now lock and unlock the passenger sits.

This stops anyone from sitting at all. You can also use it to choose where your crew will sit, by locking off any sits not needed.

Horn :

Changed the way it plays, so the sound 'follows' the boat instead of being left behind.

Safe Mode :

Fixed a couple of prims misbehaving in safe mode.

Modding Notes :

For those who love to personalise, I added extra info to the modding notes part of the instructions.

Especially some info regarding the ways I make the container textures, so your logo comes out nice rather than squished from the SL texture uploader.

SaveSave

aka Claire

FS hotlaps junkie

#11 Rose Brightflame

Rose Brightflame

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationKyral Threndor

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

Speaking  from a personally historical view point,    and  as I live on a   70  ft narrow boat in  real  time, this barge offers a interesting observation,. when shifting  cargo  with a narrow boat .   we use  barges    or  " butties" as they are  called  in the water  ways  community   to   haul and triple the capacity of goods   up and down the canals ..   ..  these are  un powered   towed  vessels, usually little mroe than    hulls with  steering,    but my  ponder was  .   would they be possible  to  an addition to this  barge?.. perhaps  crewed  for steering  towed by the   lead  boat.   the crew there for  solving the  gtfo  loading of  two  huds  being on one boat?..  Just a thought  but    an interesting one.   Sparkles Rose x

#12 atomic infinity

atomic infinity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

Interesting idea - I think the towed barge would have to be independent of the powered one, with another owner/crew. GTFO would see it as 2 boats loading separately, just both people choose the same destination job.

It would be fun to try to make this work, so the towed boat follows the main one around, though finding a dock long enough to moor at might be a challenge!

aka Claire

FS hotlaps junkie

#13 Gokyu Ugajin

Gokyu Ugajin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:33 PM

Awesome boat. One of my favorites

• atomic infinity likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users