9 replies to this topic

#1 Rez Gray

Rez Gray

GTFO MASTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:52 PM

So, for things like, sailing and naval combat, people have been maybe.... tweaking the wind in their favor.

With the map initiative, I'm looking at possible mapping out some wind currents that players running the Smuggler/Pirate mode will be forced to use in order to sail.

So, in the blake and other areas, I'm open to suggestions.

We could also alternate or cycle wind patterns over time. 

== EDIT 1 ==

How it'd work 

1. User enables Trading Mode or something that uses "Global Tradewinds"
  2. The ship's GTFO or even tradewinds specific scripting figures out where it is and gets relevant wind pattern data.
    This data might even be updateable at some point, or visible on maps or huds.
  3. When user enters a tradewind current "either by sims or gigantic bounding boxes" it would override their wind settings.

We want to do this so that:

1. It gives hardcore traders more of a challenge.
  2. It keeps pirates / customs (really, kinda the same thing ) from cheating using wind.

I'm thinking thee would probably be a set of winds that changed daily, and they set would be available on maps and huds for reference.

Edited by Rez Gray, 14 July 2017 - 04:16 PM.

#2 Analyse

Analyse

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 317 posts
  • LocationDutch Harbor

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:48 PM

quick thoughts:

i can see a GTFO dock / windsetter combo, and a "trading" (instead of "racing") mode where the wind locks for the duration of the trip, boats will automatically have their wind updated during loading/unloading, 

upsides:

- Relatively easy to implement,

- Downwards compatible with many existing boats,

downsides:

- The wind locked in your vessel is set by the last dock you visited, so still not necessarily the same as someone you engage with in battle,

- wont work for every boat,

If at first you don't succeed, single-handed ‘round the world ocean racing is not for you.

#3 ReiKuhr

ReiKuhr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:45 AM

The problem of having locked winds is a lot of people are casual sailors and may not be skilled enough to learn how to sail against unfavorable winds. Also, not all boats require sails. I do like the idea of having tradewinds though, just not really for battle, but to encourage trade routes that follow favorable conditions.

#4 Nik

Nik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:37 AM

Hi Rez and Ana,

Karlos and I have been talking about exactly that roughly half a year ago. Karlos had some pretty concrete ideas on how to do it, basically allocating wind direction to the sim you are sailing through - probably takes a database of sims or some systematical algorithm to figure it out but I'm positive he wouldn't have a hard time doing it. This would also eliminate the problem that the wind is set to where you last docked.

I'll pitch him the idea as soon as I see him...

Edited by Nik, 14 July 2017 - 05:40 AM.

#5 atomic infinity

atomic infinity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

I agree with ReiKhur there are a lot of recreational sailors that are learning to sail so end up fixing the wind to enjoy their sail - I used to be one of them :)

While I would like the realism of a trade wind, it might scare others away.

How about it being an option when you take the job - like if you decide to 'wait for favourable wind' (that is, set your own) = slightly lower G$ profit in the job?

This would mean everyone can play regardless of sailing ability, and might also encourage more people to learn to sail on a realistic wind.

aka Claire

FS hotlaps junkie

Satellite Wharf - GTFO! Hub

North eastern Heterocera Atoll

Now accepting deliveries in medium boats, medium seaplanes, amphibious vehicles, large helicopters and all road vehicles :)

#6 ZZBottom

ZZBottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

fully agree with infinity. also if i'm understanding, or all boats would use wwc or that wind setup would have to be full perms and/or resumed on a script, to be used by any boat maker.

Edited by ZZBottom, 14 July 2017 - 12:12 PM.

#7 ZZBottom

ZZBottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

And that would exclude powerboats, that are a big part of the boat trading reality.

#8 Rez Gray

Rez Gray

GTFO MASTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

The idea at the moment is that we'd have wind currents circulting around the blake, maybe along sea corridors. These would update periodically.

The exact method is something I'm still debating in my head, but it wouldn't be static data all the time.

#9 ReiKuhr

ReiKuhr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:03 AM

It's a great idea for those looking to base their trade on wind conditions, but as stated before, it's moot for powerboats. For sail it opens up the ability to have a little difference in trade routes day to day, basing routes on conditions rather than just picking their favorite ports to do runs back and forth to. I like the idea of enabling tradewinds giving a small bonus to trade to encourage it's use, but there would be a TON of balancing issues if it's made a requirement as people will simply go after the best boats for the wind rather than sailing the ones they like to sail.

I'd say for combat though it should be required. This keeps people from essentially turning their ships into powerboats by constantly shifting wind to favorable angles. It also opens up people using smaller and faster sailboats to slip by bigger ships, or more maneuverable ones being able to get a brig stuck downwind unable to tack after them.

#10 Rez Gray

Rez Gray

GTFO MASTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:32 PM

Yep. It's something we'll need to figure out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users