#1 MaczMurfin

MaczMurfin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationJuneau South

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:25 PM

A good turnout of TEN Bandit IFs today at SLIFF, and a suspicion that we might be in for some better sim-weather after some investigations yesterday, meant that we ran a ten-boat regatta of three races. The advantage of this is that everyone gets three races and doesn't have to sit around while the other heat or final is running. This was largely successful today, although a few people couldn't stay after the first race leaving us with just seven for the last two races.

Racing was close throughout the field with some exciting battles to distract the RD. Situational awareness and the use of the "starboard right of way" rule are things that people need to work on, but we'll soon be running Macz's rules lesson again for those who want a refresher.

My highlight today was someone rounding the Tongass buoy in the wrong direction. When I designed SLIFF-08 I deliberately made that buoy a clockwise rounding when the expectation from other courses would be counter-clockwise. I have waited a long time for someone to fall for it though, but finally I got one today ... my fellow-RD who tested the course - Margo! Then just as I was about to give her the good news :D of her disqualification, she went and crashed on me  :angry: Aww well, it was fun ... and isn't that what it's all about? Sorry Margo, and you were well ahead for the win at the time  :(

Results follow:

Sunday@SLIFF - Results for 18th June, 2017

RACE 1 - SLIFF-01
Race Results:
 1: ramuf Resident   IDBSBD2E -- 00:15:06
 2: gsgraaf Resident   IDBS4338 -- 00:16:21
 3: Elic Epsilon   IDBSA978 -- 00:17:36
 4: Kayo Torii   IDBS7C9C -- 00:19:13
 5: eager2discover Resident   IDBSBAD2 -- 00:19:16
 6: sunnysin Clary   IDBSA16A -- 00:19:39
 7: Dora Gustafson   IDDEN149 -- 00:20:18
 8: BlakeFunkmeister Resident   IDBSBEB1 -- 00:21:41
 9: Maddox Diesel   IDBSDDAE -- not Finished
 10: RedHeadJO Resident   IDBS5D9B -- not Finished

Lap Times:
 ramuf Resident   IDBSBD2E -- Start: 00:00:02  --  Last lap: 00:15:04
 gsgraaf Resident   IDBS4338 -- Start: 00:00:09  --  Last lap: 00:16:12
 Elic Epsilon   IDBSA978 -- Start: 00:00:06  --  Last lap: 00:17:30
 Kayo Torii   IDBS7C9C -- Start: 00:00:12  --  Last lap: 00:19:01
 eager2discover Resident   IDBSBAD2 -- Start: 00:00:24  --  Last lap: 00:18:52
 sunnysin Clary   IDBSA16A -- Start: 00:00:05  --  Last lap: 00:19:34
 Dora Gustafson   IDDEN149 -- Start: 00:00:07  --  Last lap: 00:20:11
 BlakeFunkmeister Resident   IDBSBEB1 -- Start: 00:00:18  --  Last lap: 00:21:23
 Maddox Diesel   IDBSDDAE -- Start: 00:00:19  --  Last lap: not finished
 RedHeadJO Resident   IDBS5D9B -- Start: 00:00:32  --  Last lap: not finished

RACE 2 - SLIFF-05
Race Results:
 1: Elic Epsilon   IDBSA978 -- 00:25:31
 2: gsgraaf Resident   IDBS4338 -- 00:25:53
 3: eager2discover Resident   IDBSBAD2 -- 00:26:19
 4: ramuf Resident   IDBSBD2E -- 00:27:19
 5: Dora Gustafson   IDDEN149 -- 00:27:49
 6: sunnysin Clary   IDBSA16A -- 00:31:10
 7: Kayo Torii   IDBS7C9C -- not Finished

Lap Times:
 Elic Epsilon   IDBSA978 -- Start: 00:00:08  --  Last lap: 00:25:23
 gsgraaf Resident   IDBS4338 -- Start: 00:00:03  --  Last lap: 00:25:50
 eager2discover Resident   IDBSBAD2 -- Start: 00:00:16  --  Last lap: 00:26:03
 ramuf Resident   IDBSBD2E -- Start: 00:00:03  --  Last lap: 00:27:16
 Dora Gustafson   IDDEN149 -- Start: 00:00:25  --  Last lap: 00:27:24
 sunnysin Clary   IDBSA16A -- Start: 00:00:06  --  Last lap: 00:31:04
 Kayo Torii   IDBS7C9C -- Start: 00:00:07  --  Last lap: not finished

RACE 3 - SLIFF-08
Race Results:
 1: eager2discover Resident   IDBSBAD2 -- 00:29:25
 2: sunnysin Clary   IDBSA16A -- 00:29:46
 3: Dora Gustafson   IDDEN149 -- 00:31:38
 4: Kayo Torii   IDBS7C9C -- 00:32:12
 5: gsgraaf Resident   IDBS4338 -- not Finished
 6: ramuf Resident   IDBSBD2E -- not Finished
 7: Elic Epsilon   IDBSA978 -- not Finished

Lap Times:
 eager2discover Resident   IDBSBAD2 -- Start: 00:00:15  --  Last lap: 00:29:10
 sunnysin Clary   IDBSA16A -- Start: 00:00:03  --  Last lap: 00:29:43
 Dora Gustafson   IDDEN149 -- Start: 00:00:10  --  Last lap: 00:31:28
 Kayo Torii   IDBS7C9C -- Start: 00:00:07  --  Last lap: 00:32:05
 gsgraaf Resident   IDBS4338 -- Start: 00:00:01  --  Last lap: not finished
 ramuf Resident   IDBSBD2E -- Start: 00:00:07  --  Last lap: not finished
 Elic Epsilon   IDBSA978 -- Start: 00:00:09  --  Last lap: not finished

Tallying up the scores from each of the three races, then dropping the worst score resulted in a dead-heat tie between Angelic, Neil and Margo. According to the Racing Rules of Sailing, the tied breaks in favour of Angelic and Neil first - their best placings were 1st compared to Margo's best of 2nd. Then the remaining tie between Neil and Angelic finally breaks in favour of Neil who is our overall winner for the day.

(Hopefully I got my sums right, on the jetty I wasn't quite right but the end-result is the same I believe)

Sadly Neil had to dash off to RL and didn't get to stand on the top step of the podium. But we congratulated him in his absence. Well done Neil!!!

#2 Kayo

Kayo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:51 PM

This race on Sunday is always a challenge because of the high level of the skippers participating. For the skipper (myself) and the crew (Laured), it is a good opportunity to test where we are in term of sailing and navigation skills. Being relatively new with the IF, we really take that as an opportunity to improve and try to not be the last one. That’s already a victory. The other victory is participating and have fun.

From a skipper perspective, this Sunday race was particularly challenging. The change of wind, is something always to take care of, and we had some nasty one. (it is even more challenging for the crew). The additional challenge this week was coming from the number of boats racing in one race.
As most of the time, I started prudently, putting myself in the right spot, slowing down the boat and looking the countdown. 20 seconds before the start, I saw the waves of IF coming full speed as I was myself accelerating. I can’t tell you what happen to others since I was only looking my port and starboard trying to avoid collision as we were rushing to the line in the first up wind leg. I was lucky and made it with no penalty. It wasn’t the case for the other two races where I had two penalties (they were of course unjustified!!!! ^^^ ).
I have very mitigated feeling about using priorities rules as a tactic in SL. In one hand yes, it is a very fun part of the race and I always try to use them myself to take advantage of the situation. In the other hand, we are not in a perfect word and making a move to block or push another boat is a very dangerous business since the lag and the reaction time is very different for each of us. What can appear to be a starboard refusal from the air, is often a problem of reaction time between two boats not having the same virtual sailing condition. I don’t think there are magic solutions for that, and of course rules are important, but this is something skippers must consider. A one or two second reaction is not very realistic in SL and it is important to let people time to react. I will definitively think about that because it did cost me the last race this week-end  (getting lost….uh.. meaning taking time to fish some nice halibuts didn’t help )
Great race as usual and a great group of sailors. Come to visit Alaska ! (I learned we were in Alaska....for next week I will take more booze to handle the cold)

Congratulation Neil ! Nice victory ! 
Kayo

Celtica Team (Kayo – Laured).

Edited by Kayo, 19 June 2017 - 09:54 PM.

• Dora Gustafson likes this

Kayo

Celtica Team (Kayo & Laured)

"Si me dan a elegir, entre todas las vidas yo escojo la del pirata cojo, con pata de palo,con parche en el ojo, con cara de malo. El viejo truhan, capitan de un barco que tuviera por bandera un par de tibias y una calavera"

#3 Justin Blade

Justin Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationMureaux Cove, Nautilus

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

Kayo you make a good point about some of the limitations of SL and something we need to be aware of.  One rule that is almost never followed is the definition of Keep Clear.  Jake even addresses this in one of his videos pointing out that in SL we seem to sail so close together a beer could be passed from one boat to the other.

The definition of Keep Clear from the Racing Rules of Sailing 2017 - 2020, part (B) is always violated in SL racing.

Keep Clear A boat keeps clear of a right-of-way boat

(a) if the right-of-way boat can sail her course with no need to take avoiding action and,

(B) when the boats are overlapped, if the right-of-way boat can also change course in both

directions without immediately making contact.

Sailboat racing in the RL racing community is often referred to as “chess on the water”, a good description. Another quote I heard from a RL sailboat racing school says it all: “The rules do more than dictate right of way, the rules shape our tactics”.

If rules aren’t followed and enforced the race becomes little more than a fast cruise around the buoys.

Imperium Neptuni Regis

#4 Justin Blade

Justin Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

Hmmmm, not sure where the faces came from.

Imperium Neptuni Regis

#5 MaczMurfin

MaczMurfin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationJuneau South

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:27 PM

If rules aren’t followed and enforced the race

If rules aren’t followed and enforced the race becomes little more than a fast cruise around the buoys.

That's a keeper! Send me the bill Justin  ;)

#6 Kayo

Kayo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:40 PM

do you have the link of the idea by any chance?

Kayo

"Si me dan a elegir, entre todas las vidas yo escojo la del pirata cojo, con pata de palo,con parche en el ojo, con cara de malo. El viejo truhan, capitan de un barco que tuviera por bandera un par de tibias y una calavera"

#7 Justin Blade

Justin Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:58 AM

Which one Kayo?

Imperium Neptuni Regis

#8 Kayo

Kayo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

You were mentioning Jake's video

Kayo

#9 Justin Blade

Justin Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

Jake's videos are found here:  https://www.youtube....XfmQra8g/videos

The beer comment is at about 2:50 in this video: https://www.youtube....xfbhzf5g&t=189s

Imperium Neptuni Regis

#10 Kayo

Kayo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

Very good video. Thx

Kayo

#11 Kayo

Kayo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:54 AM

Just to elaborate a little on these video. I believe they are very good and explain very well principles that should be kept in mind. IT looks as well very easy on a video because the problematic is reduced between two boats. In real condition, you usually have a lot of boat and very little room / time. Never had the chance to meet Jack but these videos are really good materials for any sailors (experimented or not) joining a SL race. RL and SL, even if you have similarities is still very different  :P

See you next Sunday for a new race ! ;)

Kayo

#12 MaczMurfin

MaczMurfin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationJuneau South

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

See you next Sunday for a new race ! ;)

Don't forget Thursday... Oh, that's today, isn't it? Yeah, must be Thursday@SLIFF: Macz's Challenge soon. I'd better go dream up a new course...  :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bandit IF, IF, Sunday, Results, Skagway, SLIFF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users