3 replies to this topic

#1 vIv

vIv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

I foresee some exciting races in the new ACC boats...

These beasts are capable of 50kts speed !

So who s gonna win? Oracle? Artemis? TNZ? 

Or maybe Team Japan?

The British and French seem a bit behind based on practice races... but we'll see tomorrow the real game !

#2 vIv

vIv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:10 PM

Boats:

ACC, 50-ft foiling cats... up to 3x wind speed, foiling in as little as 7kts winds

Venue:

Bermuda's Great Sound (see map)

m2570_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1

Format:

3 rounds to select the challenger, a qualifying round to eliminate 1 boat, then semi-finals and finals.

The winner will face US Oracle team. The first to win 7 races wins the Cup. 

Oracle takes part in qualifier 1st round.

1st regatta today is between Oracle and Groupama Team France, then Artemis will square off against Team Japan.

nb: illustration is from the official AC35 website (https://www.americascup.com/en)

Edited by vIv, 27 May 2017 - 02:33 PM.

• LucyInTheSky Afarensis likes this

#3 vIv

vIv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

The First day of racing provided some insights for the rest of the campaign :
1.These boats really fly: over 40kts on the reach in 10-11kts winds. Conversely, they are so hard to control in close match race, as shown by the collision between BAR and Team Japan. We will see more action-packed races in the days to come.
2. Oracle, with the agressive Spithill at the helm will be the team to beat. Look at his maneuver to overtake TNZ: great move!
3. The French is the weakest team, losing lots with each tack and gybe. They re the only team with no win.

#4 Kayo

Kayo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

I think the change of format a few years back (2 years ago i think) did really impact some of the teams. I guess this is a complete new organisation and boat to set.

These races are incredibly spectaculars. Unfortunately still very little media coverage here in the US. I don't think CNN even mentioned one of the race.

And to finish i think USA desperately needs some support :). The kiwi are eating us :)

Edited by Kayo, 21 June 2017 - 02:44 PM.

Kayo

Celtica Team (Kayo & Laured)

"Si me dan a elegir, entre todas las vidas yo escojo la del pirata cojo, con pata de palo,con parche en el ojo, con cara de malo. El viejo truhan, capitan de un barco que tuviera por bandera un par de tibias y una calavera"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users