5 replies to this topic

#1 Nik

Nik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:43 AM

Dear all,

we've finally joined the platform! So let's start bottoms up and introduce our latest ship, the N+K Mercury class corvette (French term), or sloop of war.

In the British Royal Navy of the 18th century sloop'o'war type ships were full rigged (three masted) ships with an armament just barely too small to fit in the official naval rating scheme they had at the time. Like the Mercury, many had 18 guns (12-pounders in this case), and the rating system started just over 20.

Yet those ships were used for military purposes as well as all kinds of civilian uses. Fast and quite manoeuverable, they were well liked by Captains for trade, privateering, scouting, patrolling and whatever else was called for. They found wide and varied use throughout all navies and nations.

As is true for all of our ships, the Mercury isn't any particular historical ship but a genuine design of our own intended to replicated a corvette class of ship.

Happy Sailing!

post-2368-0-25700200-1495172448.png

Attached Files

• Analyse likes this

#2 Analyse

Analyse

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 317 posts
  • LocationDutch Harbor

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:34 AM

gallery_2368_141_3834.png

gallery_2368_141_277417.png

gallery_2368_141_244673.png

gallery_2368_141_339151.png

gallery_2368_141_396719.png

awesome work guys!

• Nik likes this
 If at first you don't succeed, single-handed ‘round the world ocean racing is not for you.

#3 Nik

Nik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

Thanks Ana :-)

#4 Analyse

Analyse

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 317 posts
  • LocationDutch Harbor

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

All you folks reading this, go check out the N + K builds, the attention to detail is mind boggling, you can for instance sail it backwards, where the sails shape will be correct and "bend" itself around the mast, if you practice you can almost turn it on the spot, all things you could do in RL with a real fully rigged ship (with a proper trained crew of course ^_^ )

Sailing a ship like this is quite different from a sloop rigged modern yacht, but its super fun to learn, and these ships come closer then any other simulation i have seen yet, if you are into big boats, get one!

• Nik likes this
 If at first you don't succeed, single-handed ‘round the world ocean racing is not for you.

#5 Lance.Corrimal

Lance.Corrimal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

Anyone doing hotlaps with these? XD

#6 ReiKuhr

ReiKuhr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:43 AM

I've watched the video numerous times, but honestly I still can't wrap my head around sailing these. The problem I have is with the spanker. I'm not entirely sure where it should be when sailing, causing the aft end of my ship to slew around constantly. Sometimes even when I'm straight downwind I'll slew instead of just going with the breeze. The video is a good start, but honestly it feels like it only covers about 30% of what's needed to sail these ships.

Still practicing on the demos, but it's frustrating.

Need a training-wheels option for people like me D:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailing, corvette, tallship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users