10 replies to this topic

#1 Analyse

Analyse

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDutch Harbor

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

The Mary Celeste is quite a notorious name in maritime history, and i'm sure this Second Life version will uphold the tradition by being seen sailing without any crew on numerous occasions in the future. ;)

Its a ship i meshed a while back, and besides some random Halloween related appearances its been pretty dormant at its mooring on the north side of Dutch Harbor. While originally made for an "escape the room" kinda game, i did make it so it would be a fully functional ship someday. Having my hands full with finishing the meshes for the Skutsje, 665, 50/3, etc, Dutch found himself without a project for a few weeks, and since the Mary Celeste was just waiting for code to be put in it seems that day has finally come.

When i made the Mary Celeste i didnt have that much to go on, besides the events that cemented her name in history she was a pretty standard transport ship for long ocean voyages, steam engines were around, but lacked practicality for long distance, so the bulk of transport worldwide was done by sail power.

Mary_Celeste_as_Amazon_in_1861.jpg

The type of rigging on the Mary Celeste is called "hermaphrodite brig" this is a two-masted sailing ship which has square sails on the foremast combined with a schooner rig on the mainmast (triangular topsail over a gaff mainsail). As such it has a mix of the two main types of sail plan, hence the term hermaphrodite.its also often referred to as a "brig schooner" or (not quite correctly) a "brigantine" 

The sailing engine used will be the BOSS3, and the sails will be split in groups rather then be controlled individually it will feature hoisting, luffing, working sheets etc. The Mary Celeste will also be fully compatible with GTFO, so you can actually transport stuff from A to B :) 

gallery_11_140_119880.jpg

gallery_11_140_546130.jpg

gallery_11_140_1206767.jpg

• Aethelwine and Nik like this
 If at first you don't succeed, single-handed ‘round the world ocean racing is not for you.

#2 MaczMurfin

MaczMurfin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationJuneau South

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:34 PM

Well, that's definitely going to be something different. I'm inclined to want to say she's not my kind of boat, but then I think I said that about the Bandit 570AK quite recently and discovered I was wrong...  ;)

#3 Justin Blade

Justin Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationMureaux Cove, Nautilus

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

Beautiful.

Imperium Neptuni Regis

#4 Luna Azulejo

Luna Azulejo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEden

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:25 PM

I went to the harbor to see her today. Where does this able-bodied seawoman sign up to be crew?  ;)

• Analyse likes this

#5 Analyse

Analyse

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDutch Harbor

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

some shots of the Mary Celeste in her new berth,

gallery_11_140_292780.jpg

gallery_11_140_5243.jpg

gallery_11_140_903794.jpg

• Nik likes this
 If at first you don't succeed, single-handed ‘round the world ocean racing is not for you.

#6 Analyse

Analyse

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDutch Harbor

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:37 PM

gallery_11_140_249246.jpg

so many sheets :)

#7 Nik

Nik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:31 AM

Looking great!

#8 Analyse

Analyse

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDutch Harbor

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:17 AM

gallery_11_140_487415.jpg

gallery_11_140_361206.jpg

yes, thats me in a dress, somehow sailing this in jeans and sneakers didnt feel right <_<

#9 Analyse

Analyse

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDutch Harbor

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

And for our history lesson, the Mary Celeste is not the first brig schooner in Second Life, we of course had the fabulous Trudeau Tradewind, i used to race one back in the day :)

tradewind3.jpg

tradewind1.jpg

#10 Analyse

Analyse

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDutch Harbor

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

gallery_11_140_1186905.jpg

Close encounter on the Blake Sea

#11 MaczMurfin

MaczMurfin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationJuneau South

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

Looks like you were seriously out-gunned Analyse. I hope it was a friendly encounter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mary Celeste

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users