Photo

Blake Sea Bad Performance Cause by LL Change?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 MarkTwainWhite

MarkTwainWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationJuneau Marina, Juneau North Region

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:37 AM

A lot of you, myself included, have noticed how bad the Blake Sea regions have been performing recently, especially in the last week or so. Rich Reynaud (Hollywood Airport Manager) and I were kicking around in the Blake Sea testing a few things when it quickly became apparent that LL has made a major change in the Blake Sea this week.  Nearly every region in the Blake Sea is presently (or at least at the time of his writing) running on a new Beta server called SNACK.  

You can read all about SNACK on the SL wiki here:

http://wiki.secondli...wiki/Beta/Snack

As you will read there SNACK is supposed to be used only in sandbox applications and in Beta testing situations. At least that is how I am reading it. I have put a request into LL to give us an explanation why the major of the Blake Sea regions are now on this "server release candidate."

I am not a code type person, perhaps there is a good reason LL is doing this and I will pass along any answer the provide as soon as I receive it. 

In the mean time you all, as residents and customers of LL, are free to files tickets and bug reports as outlined in the wiki.

One thing that the Blake Sea needs is for all the regions to be on the same server type. Back in the old days this was done more consistently than it seems to be being done now. Perhaps this "test" is related to solve some of the issues that comes with less manpower to monitor the particulars of whatever structure exists between the servers that produce the Blake Sea and the larger infrastructure of LL's server farms. Hopefully we will get updated.  

I have been told by a high level Linden that the old adage "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" lives in LL. While we await for some insight I think maybe it is time to do some squeaking.

Edited by MarkTwainWhite, 07 October 2014 - 04:50 AM.

grin.gif Success comes with hard work and dedication.
Not by trying to bring others down.
 grin.gif

By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? - Matthew 7:16

----------------------------------
The History of the Blake Sea: http://bit.ly/HnZCG7
How is the Blake Sea Administrated?: http://bit.ly/1bYEHmm

#2 Ziggy Biscuit

Ziggy Biscuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:24 AM

I totally agree about the lag and not being able to navigate through the Blake Sea. I was at the point that I was starting to suspect hardware failure problems in my desktop computer.

To test this theory I flew in both the Nautilus Waterway and the Jeogeot Gulf. I found flying both my airplane and sailing my huge Bismarck  battle ship through each of these waterways to be a breath of fresh air compared to the problems plaguing the Blake Sea.

#3 Lance.Corrimal

Lance.Corrimal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:38 AM

I dunno about the "bad performance", just last night I sailed from dex to Fishers Island and the sim borders where fine... not perfect, but we managed through without a single problem other than a bit of rubbrbanding.

• fleur likes this

#4 Duckie Dickins

Duckie Dickins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:31 AM

TL;DR version - LL deployed new tech for boosting rez time of textures and mesh objects on SNACK sim servers. Rezzing should be faster and no changes to sim crossing were made. Viewer Update not required.

I attend the beta server meetings with the lindens and currently snack is only running an update where texture and mesh fetching is done through a CDN rather than the sim. For those who don't know what a CDN is, it's a content distribution network. The current way assets are fetched is you teleport into the sim and whatever textures and mesh data you don't have cached already on your harddrive, your viewer makes a request with the sim you're in to go fetch that data from the asset server...the asset server sends it to the sim and then the sim sends it to you. Since the LL datacenters are located in like austin and san francisco, your data packets might need to make a longer trip depending on where you are in the world...

Snack sims that use the CDNs will look for a server regionally close to you. If you're in sweden, it uses a content server located in sweden.... You enter the sim, the sim has your viewer figure out which CDN is nearest to you and rather your viewer requesting textures and mesh data you haven't cached already to the sim server in austin or san francisco, it contacts that CDN in sweden near you...the CDN sees if that info has been cached on that CDN already...which happens when you or someone else who might also be in sweden happens to travel through that sim. if it has, that info is sent very quickly to you from that CDN in sweden...if you're the first person in sweden to visit that sim, the CDN contacts the asset servers back in austin and san francisco to fetch that data and then caches it in sweden for the next time you visit or someone else from sweden visits.  It improves load times on textures and meshes super fast.

If you have noticed that the world map loads very fast now...it's because CDN usage was first deployed gridwide for just the world maps....So that being said, performance as far as rez speed should be significantly increased in sims running Snack.

• fleur likes this

#5 Lance.Corrimal

Lance.Corrimal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:49 AM

and in case anyone was wondering what we were sailing: Loonetta, no special "sailing outfits", my wife was wearing her slink physique body and she brought the baby, too. so no we didn't exactly "dress down" for the trip. That would be "topless tuesday" XD

• fleur likes this

#6 fleur

fleur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:18 AM

perhaps a problem crossing sim from blake sea sims which is on the new snack and the others sims around which are on standard release as i just tested not sim crossing this morning but rez on blake sea it's an awesome wonderful result as it's something like near no rez time for me for example at Spyglass just very few seconds less than 10 seconds compare to 2 or 4 minutes in standard release sims to do the same. I'm agree with the fact they have to jump all of the sims over the new snack or no one and not without saying anything to administrators of them. Else so happiness with the loading of snack rez time through CDN, really looks promising. hope they will soon jump all the grid on the new CDN system very soon. :)

#7 Victor Cruiser

Victor Cruiser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:06 AM

We sail and race all days in Blake Sea. I have no issues at all out of races or in some races. But, yes we have races where all boats near Fast Net is Crows Nest Sims went out of the world.

As Mark said LL is testing a beta server here. Could be the tests run only in race time???  So it will be good RD could know or Yacht Club Commodore... maybe...

If not, maybe someone is doing tests out of LL at race times. Maybe it was good someone from Blake Sea Administration let RD or Commodores know about tests and downgrades of sim preformances like we had seen in the ofshore SYC race where no one sail more than in 2 sims and go out of world,

Thank you Mark for let us know about issues. If Admirals don't know what is going on the only thing we can do is avoid hypercharged sims and sail around like we have done at NYC. For that we only need to sail before race and let sailors know where danger could be. We avoid Blake Sea Mediterranean a long time ago changing all courses. And it work. In fact Med was impossible to race by with more than 3 boats.

Now seem to be Crows Nest... We will see.

All other places we do very good  races with no crashes in big fleets with close  finishes as you can see if you take some time to go in place and enjoy.

#8 MarkTwainWhite

MarkTwainWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

Interesting that in this thread we are getting a mixed bag of experiences of what is happening with the Blake Sea now that it is on SNACK. Will be interesting to follow this.  

Now seem to be Crows Nest... We will see.

Given the performance in Crows Nest recently LL has agreed to reboot the region every Friday along with its normal reboot on Tues/Wed.

grin.gif

By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? - Matthew 7:16

#9 Analyse

Analyse

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 317 posts
  • LocationDutch Harbor

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:39 AM

In general the performance seems consistent or slightly better, even on sims that are known to be problematic from time to time.

like mentioned above Crows Nest can still be a deathtrap, but luckily you can see it from a distance and steer clear ;)

If at first you don't succeed, single-handed ‘round the world ocean racing is not for you.

#10 Maiti Yenni

Maiti Yenni

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • LocationOckway Bay, U.S.S., SL

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

Interesting that in this thread we are getting a mixed bag of experiences of what is happening with the Blake Sea now that it is on SNACK. Will be interesting to follow this.  

Given the performance in Crows Nest recently LL has agreed to reboot the region every Friday along with its normal reboot on Tues/Wed.

This will have to help. I for one, have seen just terrible performance in the same Crows Nest area, as well as last Sunday's pathetic performance in Pacific sim.

Further, I have participated in several races, coming from and going to the Blake from the nautilus area. In all of these races there was a really unusually high incidence of people crashing entering Blake waters.

Edited by Maiti Yenni, 07 October 2014 - 11:59 AM.

Owner and Instructor, Ockway Bay Sailing School

Co-Founder - Virtual World Sailing Forum

#11 MarkTwainWhite

MarkTwainWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:05 PM

In general the performance seems consistent or slightly better, even on sims that are known to be problematic from time to time.

Perhaps the bad performances that many seemed to have were due to sailing during a settling down period of such a major change? You can see what can happen with individual sims have an issue (such as Crow's Nest). What would be the general experience sailors might have in a group of more than 40 sims that were suddenly moved to a new server type?  Maybe we are in the middle of a shake-down cruise

Edited by MarkTwainWhite, 07 October 2014 - 12:06 PM.

grin.gif

#12 Analyse

Analyse

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 317 posts
  • LocationDutch Harbor

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

In all of these races there was a really unusually high incidence of people crashing entering Blake waters.

ah, that can explain my slightly different experience, i always start directly on the Blake, but haven't been in and out the area much last week, it was mainly some boat tests i did, not much in longer journeys.

If at first you don't succeed, single-handed ‘round the world ocean racing is not for you.

#13 samlara

samlara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSL

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

WHY  oh  WHY??????    do  we expect  the Labs  to  do  something  to  what  we  don't  own???

Blake is  public  land,  Its  mostly  Labs  owned....

IF,  we want to  protect  our  sailing  lands,,  OWN  it....

No  point  whatsoever  bleating  because it  might  effect  financial  concerns....

Thats  frankly  TOUGH  

Sail the  North  Sea, or  any  other  private  water  sims:)))  its  privately  owned,  all  on the same  servers  and  great....

Stop  bleating......we sail  there totally  FREE.........id the owners  do  something  then  thats  up  to  them:))))

TrYC  Gal,  RD  

#14 Laycee Deed

Laycee Deed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

I can add a little to this thread, albeit anecdotally.  Our Topless Sailors cruise route yesterday took us across the Blake Sea, heading northwesterly from Union Passage.  About 25 – 30 boats started. Soon after,  I received way more than the normally expected number of crash reports, most of them coming early in the cruise from the Blake Sea.  If I had read this thread before charting the route, I would have avoided Crows Nest, but unfortunately, because of its scenic beauty I took the entire fleet there by setting a waypoint just north of Fastnet Light  :o I am unaware if the crashes reported came from that sim, but I can say that Deni and I test- sailed the course together on 3 days earlier and experienced no hiccups at all.  Our friend Tichoupie also reported testing the route 2 days prior to the cruise with no problems. Perhaps our unusual number of crashes resulted from a large number of boats entering and exiting a problem sim at the same time.

#15 Maiti Yenni

Maiti Yenni

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • LocationOckway Bay, U.S.S., SL

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:35 PM

Our Topless Sailors cruise route yesterday took us across the Blake Sea, heading northwesterly from Union Passage.  About 25 – 30 boats started. Soon after,  I received way more than the normally expected number of crash reports, most of them coming early in the cruise from the Blake Sea.   Perhaps our unusual number of crashes resulted from a large number of boats entering and exiting a problem sim at the same time.

Do note that most, but not all of the sims in the Blake are homestead sims, so they don't work well with more then 20 or so people in them. However, Crows Nest and Haggarty, (close to Crows nest), are indeed full sims and should be able to take the 25 to 30 boats in a staggered fashion. One only has to look back to this summer's Raft ups to see that. That said, there is definitely something going on there, whether it be this test mentioned, or some other problem.  One has to wonder if we ARE going to need daily weather reports.

I will mention, and perhaps people whom have been here longer can support or deny this observation, but this is not the first time I have seen this sort of problem in areas such as the Blake, they come, sometimes last weeks, then one day they are gone again.

• Nber Medici likes this

Owner and Instructor, Ockway Bay Sailing School

Co-Founder - Virtual World Sailing Forum

#16 kaliska

kaliska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:03 PM

It was the last spate of these awful crossings that led me to make my little owner overboard script :)

This current round seemed to start a few weeks ago.  I was out with a friend, a half sim ahead of me or so.  She hit crows nest and started all the normal laggy flying past a half dozen sims, I followed not long after.  Ana was out testing the B55 at the time, so I IMed her to avoid crows nest (she might have been working on a script or something).  Ana was so carried away with looking at her instruments that she hit crows nest anyway, and boom, dev B55 gone.  Everything else around crows nest had been fine that day, but things have gotten worse since.  Last Sunday's B55 regatta was just horribly awful for it, I got the impression that I was one of the few that stuck the route the whole way around.

I'd also noticed some weeks before this that there were some sim borders that are just fine one way, but will smack you off your vehicle and delay that vehicle for about 3 minutes whilst going the other way.  This has also recently been noticed by yavanna (the pod rider creator).

Still, I guess they'll fix it at some point.  And probably break it again too XD

#17 samlara

samlara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSL

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:59 AM

Blake  is a  fairly  big  area  its  not  populated,  and  neither are there  paying  customers  for the  Labs.

They  often  use  it,  and  similar  other  sea  areas  to  do  things  like that...

I  had  it a lot at  Sea  of  Fables...

i  guess the  ethos is,  it  might  effect  some  but  not any  paying  sim  owners  or  businesses..

TrYC  Gal,  RD  

#18 ZZBottom

ZZBottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:28 AM

Funny, on that topless cruise i passed around the crows nest without any issues. In fact i can report that the last times i had really bad crashes on the blake sea where on the mesh shop region and it was more then a week ago.

Now it seems that there is in fact a connection between the cdn and the abnomrla crashes so lets hope Ll will fix it asap.

http://modemworld.wo.../#comment-37339

#19 MarkTwainWhite

MarkTwainWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

Sammie said:

WHY  oh  WHY??????    do  we expect  the Labs  to  do  something  to  what  we  don't  own???

Blake is  public  land,  Its  mostly  Labs  owned....

IF,  we want to  protect  our  sailing  lands,,  OWN  it....

No  point  whatsoever  bleating  because it  might  effect  financial  concerns....

Thats  frankly  TOUGH  

Linden Lab said: 

The Blake Sea program is a partnership between Linden Lab™ and the United Sailing Sims. However, all Residents are welcome and encouraged to enjoy and explore the Blake Sea. Linden Lab has the right to amend the terms of the governance document and the Code of Conduct at its discretion, but will always consult and work with the community group ahead of any changes.

While all are welcome, Residents must observe certain rights of way. The purpose of the Blake Sea is to provide an open space for the Residents of Second Life to enjoy sailing, and therefore other vehicle types should allow sailboats to have the right of way.

Enough said.

Edited by MarkTwainWhite, 08 October 2014 - 12:13 PM.

grin.gif

#20 Ziggy Biscuit

Ziggy Biscuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:56 PM

Since the Blake Sea is Linden owned, I suppose it is a waste of time griping about something they own and you do not. After all they can take back their sims anytime they want without any discussion or explanation to any one. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users