16 replies to this topic

#1 ReiZeplin

ReiZeplin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:31 AM

So I'm getting pretty tired of Firestorm. It's been unstable and keeps crashing to desktop and I hate Linden Lab's Second Life viewer.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good alternative viewer that allows access to marketplace listings, is good for racing and creating?

Rei Zeplin

COO/Designer, Broken Butterfly Business...

#2 Penelope Debruyere

Penelope Debruyere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:54 AM

When I sail I use Singularity, it is more stable (I rarely crash with it). But for the rest I use Firestorm. I think that the problem with FS is that it is too bulky. They should have a light version  :)

#3 ReiZeplin

ReiZeplin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

It is horribly bulky.. It gets bad in the Blake as well. I was RDing on Saturday morning and i crashed to desktop 4 times. :(

I hear the Singularity viewer is similar look to the stock SL viewer.

Rei Zeplin

COO/Designer, Broken Butterfly Business...

#4 Guest_Arya_*

Guest_Arya_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

Singularity looks like the old Phoenix Viewer and it is poor of features, that's why it is more stable.

#5 Maiti Yenni

Maiti Yenni

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • LocationOckway Bay, U.S.S., SL

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:11 PM

Rei the real question is: is it Firestorm, your computer, or the connection?

First thing to do is look in the performance, and if your ping time is over 200, thats not good. I have seen people complain to me about their viewer and come to find they had a ping time of 500+. You do live at the end of the world. Could be a large part of all this.

Start with that, then go to the computer its self and look for things running in the background. Things like cloud storage ( dropbox, Google drive and the like) are culprits. Apple has a ton of crap running in the background.

Last take a look at windows start up its self. Turn off the autostart for anything you don't need.

My computer starts getting nasty when it needs a good blowout inside. I take it apart and use a blow can and really blow all the dust out of everything. And yes i do see a marked change in performance after.

After all that -  try FS for a bit.

Edited by Maiti Yenni, 26 October 2015 - 01:11 PM.

Owner and Instructor, Ockway Bay Sailing School

Co-Founder - Virtual World Sailing Forum

#6 MarkTwainWhite

MarkTwainWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationJuneau Marina, Juneau North Region

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:58 PM

My computer always feels better after a good blowout.  :)

grin.gif Success comes with hard work and dedication.
Not by trying to bring others down.
 grin.gif

By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? - Matthew 7:16

----------------------------------
The History of the Blake Sea: http://bit.ly/HnZCG7
How is the Blake Sea Administrated?: http://bit.ly/1bYEHmm

#7 ZZBottom

ZZBottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:04 PM

Lol.

However my advice is always the same, avoid Firestorm at all costs and try instead Ukando, that is made by a Sl sailor.

Much easy to run, all the features one needs and nothing else.

Also Kokua is pretty stable or in last resort, LL official viewer.

#8 Maiti Yenni

Maiti Yenni

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 305 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:43 PM

Oh Geez,

Next you will be telling her to use Linux too.!

#9 MG Canonmill

MG Canonmill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest U.S.A.

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

I use Singularity when I go sailing and when I TRY to ride my motorcycle on the mainland. Seems to work really well for me sailing, though riding a motorcycle is, more often than not, an exercise in futility regardless of the viewer. I might have to check out Ukando that ZZBottom suggested. As far as Firestorm is concerned...I've been a user since it's inception, and Emerald before that, but it has gotten to the point that not only have they thrown in the proverbial kitchen sink, they've just tossed in the whole house! With that said, I'll probably keep using it as my main viewer because of a few options that others don't have.

/me climbs down off soapbox

#10 Justin Blade

Justin Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationMureaux Cove, Nautilus

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:52 PM

As I understand it RLV must be activated if you use USB HUD, something to keep in mind when looking at other viewers.

As some know I've bragged about how old my version of FS is.  Well, that bit me before races Thursday when Firestorm locked me out because the version was so old.  Glad I wasn't RDing that race.  I logged back in using Sing, also an old version since I haven't used Sing since my last computer over a year and a half ago.  Sing worked fine as did the newest version of FS (so far but it has hardly been tested yet though).

When I installed FS I decided to be brave about it so I didn't do a clean install.  I will do that as soon as time permits though.  I also plan on updating Sing and maybe take a look at Ukando.  A basic light viewer sounds good for racing.

Imperium Neptuni Regis

#11 Luna Azulejo

Luna Azulejo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationEden

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:58 AM

I checked my computer performance, ping etc., and all was fine, yet I've been crashing out of FS waaaaay too often. So I downloaded Ukando, it looks weird and too much like the SL viewer for my tastes, but I need to give it more time. I'll try it for sailing, anyway. Thanks for the tips!

#12 ZZBottom

ZZBottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

Ukando has a skin that i use, the blue 1, but overall is Second Life official viewer with:

A quick tools button that allows to cycle and change windlight settings, increase or decrease draw distance, increase or decrease lod.

A world map that can be sized and changed to show it fully without the menus.

A draw distance slider by itself.

Rlv (that i dont use and usb works perfectly without rlv activated btw).

Area search finder.

A better camera position.

A worn tab on inventory.

And other improvements i cant remember but very useful without making it a huge resource viewer like firestorm.

For those that can not adapt to the v3 style interface, there is a obvious choice that i don't see mentioned here.

(i do refuse to use those old style interface anymore, it took me a week to dapt long time a go and i, for once, do agree that ll did a good job with the v3).

http://sldev.free.fr/

Cool vl viewer is the only tpv that is updated on a weekly basis and still uses that old interface.

#13 Justin Blade

Justin Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationMureaux Cove, Nautilus

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:16 PM

Thanks Luna and ZZ.  Looks like I'll add another viewer to try out.  I was in SL for a brief time today and crashed on a TP in the same sim.  I was on FS.

Imperium Neptuni Regis

#14 Luna Azulejo

Luna Azulejo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationEden

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:49 PM

Now, could someone please tell me why my attempts to upload a profile pic haven't worked? I don't want to be a grey guy.   :o

#15 Maiti Yenni

Maiti Yenni

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 305 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:09 AM

A direct upload of a pic has not been working for about 6 weeks. Instead of fighting the software host over it , we are waiting for a full upgrade which should be happening in a few more weeks. In the meanwhile, the options of uploading a pic from a url, (flikr , gyazo all those.) or using a Wordpress gravitar still work.

https://en.gravatar.com/

Edited by Maiti Yenni, 28 October 2015 - 12:09 AM.

#16 Luna Azulejo

Luna Azulejo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationEden

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:26 AM

Thanks, Maiti. I can wait for the upgrade.  B)

#17 ZZBottom

ZZBottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

Btw, LL released a official new version yesterday and ukando already updated to it.

http://www.ukando.in...86-release.html

Must enforce the need to All be aware that the more actualized is the viewer you use the better it will perform.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users